The mission of the Voter Registration and Elections office is to promote and facilitate voter registration in the county and conduct fair and impartial elections in accordance with state and federal election laws.
This office does:
- Register citizens to vote
- Updates and maintains all official voter registration records
- Administers absentee precincts for all elections
- Maintains political district maps
- Provides voter education and outreach
This office does not:
- Print lists of registered voters. Lists can be purchased by contacting the State Election Commission at 803-734-9071.
- Print Political District Maps
- Process Notary or Passport document
To vote in South Carolina, you must have:
- A valid voter registration card and
- A valid SC drivers license or a valid SC ID issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles
Frequenty Asked Questions
Q. How do I register to vote?
A. You may register to vote in person at the Registration and Elections Office or you may download a form, complete it, and mail it to your county board of voter registration.
Q. Who can register to vote?
A. In order to vote, South Carolina law requires one must first register to vote at least 30 days prior to the election. Registration by mail applications must be postmarked at least 30 days prior to that particular election to be eligible.
To be eligible to register in South Carolina you must:
- Be a United States citizen
- Be at least eighteen (18) years old on or before the next election
- Be a resident of South Carolina, this county and precinct
- Not be under a court order declaring you mentally incompetent
- Not be confined in any public prison resulting from a conviction of a crime
- Have never been convicted of a felony or offense against the election laws or if previously convicted, have served the entire sentence, including probation or parole, or have received a pardon for the conviction.
Q. How long do I have to live in SC before I can register to vote?
A. There is no length of residency requirement in South Carolina in order to register to vote. You can register at any time.
Q. How do I update my voter registration information?
A. If your voter registration information has changed (name, address, etc.), and you still live within the same county, you may update your voter registration information using this form. If you have moved to a different county, you will need to re-register in your new county (see How to Register above).
Q. I am a college student? Can I vote in the community where I attend school?
A. Students may register to vote where they attend college only if they establish that they are a resident of that community. In establishing such residence, students must demonstrate that they have a present intention to remain in the community.
For more information on registering to vote in the state of South Carolina, visit the state election commission website.